Please don’t die until pharmacy opens at 10am



 I’m currently lying in a hospital bed in the critical dependency unit at Clatterbridge relieved to be here and reflectively amused. Dropping off to sleep last night my phone rang late. Both kids in house, tick. I checked phone and it was a call from Clatterbridge at 10.30pm at night. What on earth was going on? Pretty sure my consultant wasn’t calling with his bedtime cocoa in hand.

‘Hi Mrs Miln, I’m a registrar from Clatterbridge. Can I ask you have you got pains in your chest or are you struggling to breathe?’ ‘Well up until 10 seconds ago no! Now I feel like you’ve just sat on my chest and have your hands round my throat. Why?’ ‘We’ve picked up from your scan Thursday you have a blood clot on your lung and we need to treat it urgently to get rid of it. 3 months of injections.’

A discussion around avoiding Chester A&E ensued and I said it’s fine we’ll come straight to Clatterbridge now. On reflection and only on reflection as I’ve had a sleepless night thinking about the little bugger of a clot, what he said next is quite amusing, now I’m alive to tell the tale! ‘Oh no pharmacy doesn’t open until 10am so if you can come in for 9.15am to start tests and then we can get the medication into you the minute they open! Be here at 9.15 prompt’.

Natural question I thought, what happens between now and then! So on the basis I’d definitely had the clot a couple of days with no problems, the percentage chance of it making a run to my heart before pharmacy opened was low so probably best to just go to sleep and come in in the morning. GO TO SLEEP!!!! WTF! Thanks mate you might but I now look like zebedee on crack, sleep tight!

I made it though, I didn’t die before pharmacy opened and I’m now a regular injector of warfarin for the next 3 months!

Comments

  1. Pippa I’ve just caught up on all these recent posts. I’m so sorry you’re having such an awful time. We had hoped to be up in Chester to see you this weekend but it wasn’t to be. You really are the strongest warrior woman I know. Keep fighting. Enjoy your Christmas with your family, and hopefully (if we’re not locked down) we will be able to see you in the new year. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pip, you keep it real. 3 months of it, god love you. 2 weeks was enough for me, my tummy looked like Frank Bruno and Mike Tyson had been partying.
    Never lose that humour my love, I've found it critical.
    Love to you bionic woman x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh jesus Pips what shite timing. Sending love to you all this Christmas. I hope you start feeling better soon. Congrats to Amy - what a cracker she is xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You’re looking well

Over and Out

On reflection