Hairy situation






Today is an important day in my journey, it’s the day I decide on my new hairstyle! 

I’ve been given the choice to have a cold cap whilst receiving chemo but the nurses haven’t sold it to me to be fair. Maybe it’s because it adds more to what they have to do which to be fair I get, as they work so hard. The name says it all, it’s very cold and not much fun and you have to wear it for 30 mins before you start chemo too. Believe me you don’t want to add any more time to a fabulous day! Then to hear that it more often than not saves some hair but not all, so you can end up with patches, was enough for me to decide it wasn’t for me. Plus the extra hassle of washing hair with a picc line is not to be forgotten.

So onto the next decision to wig or not to wig? Well if you’re anything like me I saw this as an opportunity to have a bit of fun, so armed with my wig voucher today from Clatterbridge and my mum in tow I headed to the wig shop in Hoole, run by the lovely Claire. It was fun! So many different styles and colours to try but I have to be honest I decided I wanted to look as much like me as possible. I know I know, you’re all looking at me in the wig saying her hair never looks that coiffured and yes I guess when I open the door to the postman he’s going to think, crikey she’s made an effort for me today. I’m going to look mighty good whilst self isolating to be fair.

So now what to do with the hair I have, which could start falling out as early as next week. It’s too long I feel just to let it fall out, I think the difference would be quite shocking plus it will be a bugger to clean up.  So I need to go shorter which gives us time for some more fun! Covid means I can’t go and see my hairdresser Becky for this crucial step so I’ve asked the kids to do it, a decision I might regret?!

So what are you doing this weekend? Because we’re opening a hair salon called ‘Cut and Run’! The kids are going to attempt to cut my hair into a short Bob this weekend and we’re going to send my locks off to the ‘Little Princess Trust.’ I’ve decided I’ll get used to that for a few days and then maybe go for a pixie cut. Or and slightly more realistic I will be grade 3 all over by the end of the weekend! I promise to update the blog with the pictures!

I feel strange about losing my hair. In the grand scheme of things it’s physically one of the easiest things I’ll have to deal with. But it’s a long time since I had my hair short and its going to take a while to grow back (6 inches a year) and that feels very strange. It’s not just the hair either as I will lose my eyebrows and eyelashes which for me feels worse as i think it will change the look of my face. If I’m honest I’m not sure how I feel about it all or how I will react when it happens but it will grow back I have to remember and I can pray for less grey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You’re looking well

On reflection

Over and Out